***WARNING: CONTAINS SHAMELESS NAME-DROPPING***
- Eating date flapjack while discussing swearing with Roshi Fernando, DW Wilson and Elanor Dymott – a discussion that Roshi ended by setting a benchmark none of us could surpass.
- Drinking hot coffee when the barn turned cold listening to actress Hattie Morahan reading Angela Carter’s story The Tiger’s Bride and knocking it out of the park.
- Wolfing down spinach quiche in the Charleston kitchen to make it in time for the Will Gompertz event in which he got Alison MacLeod and Sarah Hall up on stage to enact the part of his book about Marcel Duchamp buying the most famous urinal in history.
- Late night figs and stilton at Tilton with Sarah Hall and Lucy Caldwell.
- Sharing a pre-event clotted cream scone with AL Kennedy.
- Drinking my last Small Wonder beer of the festival, at the signing table, chatting to members of one of the warmest audiences I’ve ever met.
- The home-made chargrilled chicken pizza Naomi had waiting for me when I got home from the festival at midnight.
Roll on Small Wonder 2013. My tummy’s rumbling already.